My name is Amanda Elise Love and I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia 10 years ago which influenced my decision to enter the field of nutrition and now I am a Registered Holistic Nutritionist who works with those who are suffering from fibromyalgia. My mission in life is to help as many people as possible with fibromyalgia !! God has put this on my heart because I have personally experienced this malady and don’t want you to struggle anymore.
I hope you are drinking your favorite drink (mine is Biglow’s Green tea) and all set to learn something new!
Today’s topic is – “ Self Care During The Holidays.”
This is the bonus episode of the holiday series.
Here are the titles of the other holiday episodes if you haven’t listened to them !
Episode 32 – “Building Up Your Immune System Before The Holidays” was episode 1 in the holiday series.
Episode 33 – “ Ways To Survive The Holidays With Fibromyalgia ’’ was episode 2 in the holiday series.
Episode 34 – Why it’s important to Practice Gratitude With Fibromyalgia episode 3 in the holiday series. ’’
Episode 35 – “Simple Ideas to make traveling easier with fibromyalgia ”episode 4 in the holiday series.
Episode 36 – “Faith and Fibromyalgia ’’- Episode 5 in the holiday series.
If you haven’t listened to these episodes. The links will be in the show notes.
New Episodes every Sunday for the rest of the year.
Self Care during the holidays is extremely important especially as you are dealing with fibromyalgia. As right now everything becomes very crazy as with everything we have to do!
This season I want you to make a promise to yourself to take extra care of yourself.
As you know when you have fibromyalgia you have a lot of different emotions going on. That is why it is important to practice self-care!!
What is self-care?
Self-care is what we do in order to take care of our mental, emotional, and physical health. It might sound simple, a lot of time, it’s something we will overlook. Good self-care is key it helps us to improve mood and reduce anxiety. It also helps with having a good relationship with yourself and others.
So now you are wondering what isn’t self-care? We don’t force ourselves to do that activity that we don’t enjoy. Think of it as refueling you rather than taking from you. Remember it is not selfish to take time for yourself. Remember it is about taking care of yourself which is so important. Which then helps you take care of others.
Here are 2 ways to get started
Start with the basics. You will get into the daily routine of doing self-care and over time you can implement more self-care.
Plan ahead – If you don’t do this it most likely won’t happen. Tell your family members or friends what you plan to do. Have an accountability partner where you can check in with each other. Put it on your calendar or planner this helps you be committed to it during this holiday season.
Now let’s talk about ways to practice self care :
- Read a book -Only if you have the energy. Shut down your digital devices and curl up with a book. Read something that you enjoy. Not work-related or self-improvement.
- Light exercise like stretching or walking is great. If you can’t do it then don’t force yourself.
- Schedule time for yourself to do what you want to do.
- Candlelight – Listen to music my favorite station is Klove by candlelight or just sit quietly. Add light to your day as our days are getting darker.
- Listen to music my favorite station is Klove by candlelight or just sit quietly. Add light to your day as our days are getting darker.
- .Eat nourishing foods. I want you to enjoy your favorite holiday treats but the rest time which means 85-90 percent of the time you eat healthily. Eat greens at every meal, even breakfast. Sit down when you are eating your favorites with no distractions. This will slow you down and you will eat less. Remember to take your time eating. It takes 20 minutes for our body to realize it fully. Just because you put it on your plate doesn’t mean you have to eat every bite.
- Spend time in bed or coach with shows or movies. There is plenty of holiday romance movies this time of year.
- Establish a healthy sleep routine. If you need help with your sleep) You can download my free sleep guide called “The Sleep Fix for those with Fibromyalgia .” This guide will tell you what supplement to take to get that deep restful sleep, helps you fall asleep and not feel like a truck has hit you when you wake up. It is on the homepage of my website www.amandaeliselove.com you just have to put it in your email and name. The link will also be in the show notes.
- Nap – This helps your body and brain time to recharge during this busy season. I recommend around 20 minutes.
Listen to your body – If you are exhausted then take a day off. Don’t overdo it.
- Breathe – Frustrated? Breathe in. Breathe out. Worried? Breathe in. Breathe out. Overwhelmed? Breathe in. Breathe out. Confused? Breathe in. Breathe out. Exhausted? Breathe in. Breathe out. Start there and you can often avoid overthinking and overreacting.
- Morning Routine – Make time for yourself even if it’s 5 minutes this will start your day with more grace and intention. You can sit quietly with a cup of tea, pray, journal, walk, or include other activities that feed your body, mind, heart, and soul.
- Create a “no” list, with activities you no longer enjoy. This might be checking emails at night, or attending holiday parties, going out in the crowd to do holiday shopping.
- Make sure to look for opportunities to laugh! Call, zoom, or spend time with the person that makes you laugh harder than anyone else. Then laugh until you cry.
- Spend enough time with your loved ones.
- Take one day off a week from the internet/social media- If you aren’t sure how hyper-connectivity is affecting your life, try to remember the last conversation you had that wasn’t interrupted by a ding or a ring. Or, look around any restaurant, grocery store, or waiting room and see what percentage of people are looking into a screen.
That is 15 ways to put self-care into your daily routine. . I recommend at least 20 minutes of self-care each day which will make a big difference in your life. Remember to take care of yourself during the holidays as it is the best gift for yourself and others.
- Your 4 action steps from this episode- You can do all 4 or just one that is up to you! Make sure to put it in your planner so you don’t forget!
- I recommend that you put a few Self-care tips into your calendar or planner right now that way you remember to do them.
- Tip 7 was to establish a healthy sleep routine. I’m reminding you you can download my free sleep guide called “The Sleep Fix for those with Fibromyalgia .” This guide will tell you what supplement to take to get that deep restful sleep, helps you fall asleep and not feel like a truck has hit you when you wake up. It is on the homepage of my website www.amandaeliselove.com you just have to put it in your email and name. The link will also be in the show notes.http://bit.ly/2uzmFfq
3. If you have thought of working with me as a client. Then sign up for a free 45-minute health transformation call where we can discuss your health concerns and what services are right for you. When you work with me I have come up with an individualized plan that works for you. Remember that bodies are complex, it’s not just one thing that I suggest. It’s many things for your body to feel better. http://bit.ly/2ko8lSp
4.If you have enjoyed these holiday episodes and it would make my holiday season if you left a review on iTunes. This way we can reach more people with fibromyalgia. https://apple.co/2TgYURy
So excited for the next episode #38 as I interview my first guest on this podcast!
Her name is Tiffany Flaten who talks about being diagnosed with thyroid cancer, her journey, her first book, and more. So make sure to tune into next week’s episode.
Happy Holiday’s , Amanda Love